Monday, May 14, 2012

Who In The World Are You?

"But when you proclaim his truth in everyday speech, you're letting others in on the truth so that they can grow and be strong and experience his presence with you." 
1 Corinthians 14:3 (msg)


A recent election in North Carolina has brought a lot of anti-Christian sentiment to my Facebook wall. What bothered me wasn't the fact that it was there; I always have and always will respect a person's right to his or her own opinion. The thing that bothered me the most was the fact that this terrible piece of bigotry is what people see of Christians.


I remember thinking, "I wish people could just see God the way I see him." None of this is from the Jesus I believe in. If I could just explain what I've been reading in the Bible, what it was really all about, there would probably be a lot less close-mindedness and anger.


And then God said, "Well, why don't you explain it to them?"


I argued with God for a while on that. (Yes, I argue with God. He made me. He knows I'm stubborn.) 


"But God, I don't talk to people... I get too nervous."

"That's not important. Do it."

"But God, I don't know enough about anything. What am I even supposed to say?"

"You'll figure it out. Do it."

"But God, what if I am completely and totally wrong about all of this? 

"Trust me. Do it."
"But God, no one is even going to look at this."

"Well good! You don't have anything to worry about then, do you? Do it."

"Fine."

So that's why I'm here: to explain things the way I see them. I might be wrong, I might be right--who knows? I'm just trying to stop being so stubborn and do what God tells me, for once. 
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment